For the election of a new president of the United States of Amnesia, American and UK readers of this site have a choice between a secretive but office-experienced, anti-democratic member of the establishment, Clinton, and a pathologically aggressive bully of no political experience, a terminally narcissistic “pussy” grabber, Trump.
Readers must be thinking they are faced with a choice of the lesser of two evils.
The media, newspapers, radio and television stations, owned by people who don’t want their influence and wealth diminished, has done a fairly good job of keeping our attention off Trump’s extreme political ‘ideals’ and on his oratory style and private life.
I think it timely to list his policies so that everybody knows what they are about to receive if he is elected. No one can say we were not warned.
- Trump, denies the existence of global warming.
- He calls for increasing use of fossil fuels.
- He is for dismantling of environmental regulations.
- He refuses assistance to India and other developing nations as called for in the Paris Agreement, the combination of which could take us to a catastrophic tipping point.
- Trump has also pledged to deport 11 million Mexican immigrants.
- To keep Mexicans out he proposes a wall built along the border paid for by Mexico.
- He has offered to provide for the defense of supporters who have assaulted African American protestors at his rallies.
- He states (like Theresa May) his “openness to using nuclear weapons”.
- He wants (like Theresa May) to return to a cold war with Russia.
- He supports a ban on Muslims entering the U.S.
- He regards “the police as absolutely mistreated and misunderstood” while having “done an unbelievable job of keeping law and order”.
- Trump has also pledged to increase military spending.
- He wants to cut taxes on the rich, shredding what remains of the social welfare “safety net” that Americans enjoy, if ‘enjoy’ is the right word.
- I could go on for there are lots more…
While one can never predict what a president will do when under extreme duress, it is my opinion the suffering which Trump’s extremist policies and attitudes will impose on the most vulnerable sections of society, (like Theresa May) the poor and disenfranchised who support him, the oppressed groups, has a high probability of being significantly greater than anything Clinton might manage to get implemented.
Simply put: If you don’t give a damn about America or Americans, vote Trump.
Trump’s track-record in Scotland has been lamentable, promises of great employment in his golf courses never met, investment curtailed, sustained harassment of local residents who object to his plans and golf club ambitions, abuse of the first minister, boasting and bluster. His character was there for people to assess, as was his record in business, innumerable bankruptcies, gargantuan borrowings, a history all there before he was given a chunk of Scotland to desecrate with another golf course no one asked for or needs, but he’s here and we will have to deal with him. As president that will not be an easy task.
For us, the rest of the world, we shall just have to hunker down in our bunkers until he blows himself up with his Hindenburg proportions of self-aggrandizement.
The problem is, in his race for immortality he might actually ‘push the button’ and take a few million of us with him. And if any reader thinks that an overly gloomy prognosis you are deny the obvious – the neo-con extreme right backed by the Chicago School of fantasy economics, has done a good job of turning citizen against citizen by propaganda, and by impoverishing society by sucking wealth to the top. There’s every chance Donald Trump will be the next president of the USA.